Wednesday, January 24, 2007

fitness goals

i went gymming friday and saturday. friday i did 45 min of intense cardio. (running and elliptical) as well as some abs. saturday hunny and i did cardio for about 30 min, abs and then weights. skipped sunday and monday, then yesterday i went to a spin class. i forgot how hard those are. however, as grueling as the work out is during that hour, i'm always glad i made it through the whole thing afterwards. 15 minutes later, i'm already fully recovered. it's just hard to remember how fast the recovery time when i'm pedaling, sweating, and looking at the clock every 5 minutes.

as for eating in moderation, i have tried to cut down on portions and stop when i'm full instead of stuffing myself. this is going reasonably well but sometimes it's hard to tell when i'm full. i need to try to eat slower and need to stop doing the asian thing of finishing what's on my plate. also i'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, however the oatmeal packets i bought seem to have a lot of sugar. I used to like it but now it's getting to be too sweet for me. I'll look for a less sugary one after i finish the box...

weight is still the same but that always happens. i have to remember to stick to this routine for a while before i'll see any results.

6 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, Blogger Viv said...

I was having issues with all the sugar in instant oatmeal, too, so I switched to the Quaker Take Heart Blueberry. It's not bad in terms of taste, has less sugar, more fiber, and more of most nutrients.

http://www.quakeroatmeal.com/qo_ourProducts/instantQuakerOatmeal/takeHeart/product.cfm?productid=34

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger melsybo said...

actually that's what i used to do in school, just have regular oatmeal and add dried blueberries to sweeten it. it was hydride's suggestion. for some reason i totally forgot about doing that. well also, trader joes stopped selling the wild blueberries that i liked. the ones they have now are sweetened with apple juice - which i don't like.

anyhow, thanks for the tip!! ( or rather reminder)

you know how much i love blueberries.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger baconandeggs said...

I am on a self imposed 1600 calorie restriction with diet and exercise. it may sound silly but I measure and track what i eat and how much i exercise in excel. but it's worked for me so far (i've lost lbs since new years) since at any given time I have complete knowledge of my calorie intake for the day which influences my workout intensity and what i eat for the next meal. I agree that eating slower also helps a lot and I tend to eat til I am maybe 75% full. Afterwards, I find that waiting 20 minutes for my brain to realize that i've had enough food is pretty effective.
but I kid no one in that I still eat bad (ie chips, processed food) but I really portion it and try to counter it by eating a lot more fruit and vegetables.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger melsybo said...

well i'm not one to calorie count since i'm just not detail oriented like that. i think diets work as long as it works with your lifestyle and personality. as long as i stick with less in food quantity and increased exercise, i generally see results. sure, results take longer since i'm not on a hard core diet. however i'm able to maintain the weight better and am generally happier. i feel that it's good to be healthy and have a fit body, but you shouldn't make yourself miserable to attain it. scheduled work outs definitely help. i need to learn to treat a workout like any other social obligation and schedule around them. only thing is, i hate showering in the gym. blech.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger baconandeggs said...

i hear ya. i know my way is not the best way for many ppl. each to our own :-) I simply just wanted to share what I was doing since I have not had any success til now (i still have a long way to go). my method may sound extreme but honestly, I am not suffering or feeling deprived. I pretty much eat whatever I want but I limit the portions and try very hard to workout everyday. so i see myself not really "dieting" but more of changing my lifestyle :-)

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger James said...

Eating more often also helps. Just halve your normal intake of food, save the other half for later. You'll find if you do that, you'll eat less at each meal, then you'll get used to eating less and not eating till you get stuffed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home