Saturday, November 13, 2004

it's official

so it's official. my old company merged with another company. is this good or bad news? well in my opinion we had a great product and great potential. what happened? bad decisions. instead, now there is a merger to a private company that doesn't really have much improved standing. the ceo got a severance, and the founder's stocks are worthless. makes me sad really. i remember when i first started working there. i was so excited to go to work everyday because i felt like what we were doing that was going to become huge. so many late nites spent working to get the product out. it wasn't just me either, everyone was like that. passionate. now...? all we are left with are the memories of when things were good.

i think a lot of people came away from the company feeling bitter. but the thing is, i don't really feel that way. i learned a lot while i was there. about management, about installing and configuring servers, about a product life cycle, about running a company, about people, about friends. those lessons are invaluable to me. i don't think i would have the passion for early stage venture capital like i do now if i hadn't worked there. i wouldn't have become a bo. i wouldn't have worked with a truly great manager like janet. i wouldn't have gotten to gossip in the fishbowl. i wouldn't have spoken my mind to the CEO. my coworkers there would not have become my friends.

life is what you make of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home